11/17/08

why the name "backflip photography?"

In a June 1996 article, George Vecsey of The New York Times dubbed Osbourne Earl "Ozzie" Smith "quite likely the best defensive shortstop ever."

Now, I'm not a die-hard baseball fan, but the story of Ozzie Smith quite literally catapulted me into creating Backflip Photography.

You see, Ozzie Smith is known not only for his impeccable stats and talent for baseball, but also for what he would do each opening day and last day of the season: a back flip.

My husband heard an inspirational-type message on the radio and came home and told me the story of Ozzie Smith. Strangely, I had never heard of him.

When my husband's eyes lit up remembering the "famous flip," it was then that I understood what he was trying to tell me: I needed a job that made me want to do back flips.

Much like Ozzie loved the game of baseball, so have I always loved the art of photography. I had pushed the creative side of myself away for the past four years. Since then I have been a server (a.k.a. waitress), worked for a home-developing company, taught high school, and taught 2nd grade. In and of themselves, all those things are fine, but I feel like now is the time to do something I actually want to do.

Now that I have taken my bow out of the rat race, I finally dusted off my old Canon and took photos of a friend's wedding. Simply put, I fell in love all over again.

I don't know where this is going to take me, or even if it will be well-received.

But I do know, at least for right now, that this endeavor excites me; it inspires me. And yes, it makes me want to do back flips.

Click below to see the famous flip.

No comments:

 
blog designed by blogger boutique using anita design's "wild daisies" kit.